Monday, July 29, 2013

My Short Story: Personnel Protective Equipment

As the day passed, my colleague had conversation on his phone with his parents describing about the events of the day. To my curiosity when I was heeding I discovered that they were unaware of the basic protection equipment. When I had a chat with my friends belonging to other streams they too had a very little idea about this which led me to write a post on this topic.

The equipment's that are worn by the personnel to reduce the effect of hazard in their field of work are known as Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). They can protect the individual from physical force, electric shocks, burning heat, airborne dust and bio-hazards. These are extensively used in the jobs related to occupational and safety purposes, in daily life and sports. In cricket the batsmen gets dressed up with helmet and pads to defend the ball which is thrown at high pace likewise in mines the personnel are required to wear helmet, gum boots, mask etc. which helps them from various hazardous conditions encountered in the mines.



Human brain is the essential element for the functioning of the body and is very much sensitive to the shocks or blows on the head. Helmets are used to cover the head and they annihilate the mechanical energy and preventing from penetration. The stones present on the drives can make walking a difficult task with bare foot or the boots. The safety boots are provided which protects the toe with a metal present inside the boot. Gum boots are used in the mines where poor drainage system or the heavy ingress of water is observed which make the drive muddy and loose. They are splendidly known as Wellington boots in the fashion world. Machines working in the mines produce lots of dust and noise.  The airborne dust produced during its transit or drilling can be inhaled by the person working in that region and at a long run it affects the respiratory system of the personnel and the noise can make the person go deaf. To forestall these things personnel have been provided with mask and ear muffs for being safe and sound. Some of the uncommon things in the mines are goggles to protect the eyes, and self rescuers for rescuing themselves from ambiance containing low oxygen percentage.



During my training period, I was provided with helmet, goggles, mask, ear muffs and gum boots while entering into the mine. I was very much casual while having them on. The first shock I acquired was when I advanced along a low heighted gallery and a rock bolt protruding out of the roof hit my helmet. I had stars flying around my head till the supervisor made me sit and gave me water to stabilize. Then after a while of rest, we moved on and I was very much careful but then we encountered watery region which was slippery too. I was assured that the water will not enter inside the gum boots and I wouldn’t slip off. While we were moving I was feeling cold feet which I thought of the water being cold but that kept on increasing then I realized that water has entered into the boot by a tiny hole and my foot was drenched and became heavy. The boot being itself heavy now the water added up the weight, it became difficult to walk with one foot lighter and another heavier.  When I reached the working face there were machines running making loud noise and for my goodness there was no problem with the ear muffs. While we were returning from the face we stopped in front of the ventilation door to rest as I was drenched with my own sweat and panting. As I was feeling uneasy inside the mask, I removed it and didn’t put it on. When my supervisor opened the ventilation door the air gushed in with the dust, my eyes were covered with goggles so that prevented from getting my red. But the fact that I removed my mask made me foolish as it made me sneeze quite a lot.

The lesson I learned during the training made me to check the PPE’s before wearing and should be careful though they are worn and never ever remove them till we reach the surface. Personnel Protective Equipments are used to save your life but the fact that if we be foolish while using these things and not be careful from our prospective it would be difficult to halt the accidents. Though we are using these there are many accidents happening in the mines that are related to not using the PPE’s properly. So there is only rule………

                              SAFETY FIRST, PRODUCTION MUST

No comments:

Post a Comment